The Image Screen shown on this card was begun in the 1340s on the orders of Bishop Grandisson. The Screen was added to the West Front of the Cathedral and was under construction for well over a hundred years.
Bishop Grandisson died in 1369, when the Screen was only partly built. He chose to be buried in the small chapel whose windows are seen to the right of the central door.
This reconstruction is based on minute paint traces that were analysed by the conservator Eddie Sinclair to determine the Image Screen's original medieval colouring. The card shows how the Screen might have appeared when first completed in the 1480s.
Card size : 350x123mm/ 13.75 x 4.75"