Pulteney Bridge in Bath, England, was built between 1769 and 1774 by
Robert Adam. Its construction made possible the development of the
Bathwick Estate on the other side of the River Avon from the ancient city
The structure of the Bridge is on a small scale and has been
greatly altered. In 1800 part of the Bridge collapsed in high water and
the whole north side was later rebuilt with deeper shops. In the
nineteenth century timber extensions were built out over the river.
Partial restorations were carried out in the twentieth century, but the
front of this card shows the Bridge’s original appearance. Adam’s design
includes twenty-two shops, each having a staircase to an attic overhead,
and some with a cellar beneath.
In 1774 Forde’s New Ice Cream Shop opened at No.13, selling Italian and fine biscuits. On the inside of the card, the original street frontage is seen, with a cut-away view into typical shops of the period
Card Measures 360 x 127mm/ 14
x 5” and comes with an envelope.