The Grange at Northington, Hampshire, now has a Greek Revival exterior from between 1804 and 1809 when William Wilkins encased an earlier house in Classical facades. This artwork reconstructs the original house by Samwell.
The Frauenkirche, Dresden, drawn as part of the fundraising effort (drawn when the building was still in ruins), ink and watercolour with airbrushed sky, 40 x 80 cm/ 15.75 x 31.5''
Reconstruction of the Grand Pump Room and Royal Baths in early 19th-century Bath, Somerset.
The Great Hall of Edinburgh Castle was originally completed in 1511 for James IV as a setting for ceremonial occasions. In the 18th century the space was converted into a cramped barracks, with two floors inserted. The original timber-framed roof remained in place. Commissioned by Historic Scotland.
The Radcliffe Camera (camera, meaning 'room' in Latin) is a building of Oxford University, designed by James Gibbs in neo-classical style and built in 1737–1749 to house the Radcliffe Science Library. It stands to the south of the Old Bodleian Library, north of St. Mary's Church, and between Brasenose College to the west and All Souls College to the east.
The Library's construction and maintenance was funded from the estate of John Radcliffe, a notable doctor, who left £40,000 upon his death in 1714. According to the terms of his will, construction began only in 1737, although the intervening period saw the complex purchase of the site. The exterior was complete in 1747 and the interior finished by 1748, although the Library's opening was delayed until 13 April 1749.
Reconstruction of Devonshire House, Piccadilly, London. The house was demolished in 1924. Commissioned by Country Life.
Cragside is a country house in the civil parish of Cartington in Northumberland, England. It was the first house in the world to be lit using hydroelectric power. Built into a rocky hillside above a 4 km² forest garden, it was the country home of Lord Armstrong and has been in the care of the National Trust since 1977.
Cragside, named after Cragend Hill above the house, was built in 1863 as a modest two-storey country lodge, but was subsequently extended to designs by Richard Norman Shaw, transforming it into an elaborate mansion in the Free Tudor style. At one point, the building included an astronomical observatory and a scientific laboratory.
Stourhead Gardens, Wiltshire. This split image shows, on the right, how the great garden that we know today started to be developed. On the left we see it established in the later 18th century.
The gardens were designed by Henry Hoare II and laid out between 1741 and 1780 in a classical 18th-century design, set around a large lake created by damming a small stream; the early stages of forming the lake are seen in the distance on the far right. The inspiration behind the gardens were the painters Claude Lorrain, Poussin, and, in particular, Gaspard Dughet, who painted Utopian-type views of Italian landscapes. It is similar in style to the landscape gardens at Stowe.
Following a path around the lake is meant to evoke a journey similar to that of Aeneas's descent in to the underworld. In addition to Greek mythology, the layout is evocative of the 'genius of the place', a concept made famous by Alexander Pope.
Monuments are used to frame one another; for example the Pantheon (top centre) designed by Flitcroft entices the visitor over, but once reached, views from the opposite shore of the lake beckon.
Two scenes from a collection of drawings about Venice.
Pulteney Bridge in Bath, England, was built between 1769 and 1774 by Robert Adam. Its construction made possible the development of the Bathwick Estate on the other side of the River Avon from the ancient city of Bath. Available as a souvenir card.
The Mechanical Silver Swan in the Bowes Museum, County Durham
This musical automaton is much loved and over the last century has become the icon of The Bowes Museum. The Silver Swan dates from 1773 and was first recorded in 1774 as a crowd-puller in the Mechanical Museum of James Cox, a London showman and dealer. The internal mechanism is by John Joseph Merlin, a famous inventor of the time. The artwork shows the swan in its original 18th-century setting. Available as a souvenir postcard.